Thursday, April 28, 2005

Prodigies of the Day

The world seems full of wonders today.

First, I am blogging from a restaurant for the first time. I'm at W. G. Grinders, a hot sandwich place hereabouts. To clarify: it is a (hot sandwich) place, rather than a hot (sandwich place). The restaurant is not wireless hot spot, but all of the booths along one wall have ethernet ports, and they'll lend you a cable if you need it. Cool. I'm feeling like a pretty wired guy (instead of just a pretty weird guy).

Second, I learn today that the ivory-billed woodpecker, the fabulous bird believed to be extinct for sixty years, has been discovered alive in the woods along the Arkansas River. It is astonishing that such a glorious bird has eluded thousands of birdwatchers smack in the middle of the continental U.S. for generations. Ever since I first read of the "lordly ivory-bill" in Walker Percy's novel Love in the Ruins, this lost bird has seemed to have a cosmic significance. I would hardly be more surprised and awe-struck to hear that a mallorn tree flourished yet in some out-of-the-way corner of the West.

Now if we could only find a living thylacine, all my cryptozoological wishes would come true. And why not? If the king of all woodpeckers could live in secret all those years in the Big Woods, then maybe anything is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home